Ten Life Secrets I Learned in T’ai Chi & Qigong #5

5. The three keys of powerful posture.

T’ai and Qigong are replete with memorable cues to help you embody their insights. In these arts, good posture is the foundation for releasing tension and achieving full-bodied, emotional, psychological, and energetic integration and flow. It begins with “roots” in your feet, an “energy sphere” in your abdomen, and a “string” attached to the top of your head. These are three keys to mastering your inner being and realizing your full potential.

Here are three posture cues to practice:

1. Feel your weight sinking into the entire surface of both feet and then through the center of your feet into the ground. Imagine yourself rooted into the ground through the center of your feet, your “bubbling well” or “root points.”

2. Feel the connection from your root points up to the center of your lower abdomen, your center of gravity or lower dantian (“dahn-tee-en”). Imagine your lower dantian as a brilliant energy sphere just below your navel and 1/3 of the way from the front to the back of your body. Center your awareness in your lower dantian to be stable and present and to build your vital energy.

3. Feel the connection from your lower dantian to the top of your head, your crown point. Imagine a string attached to the top of your head drawing your spine upright.

These three cues connect your entire body into a functional whole. They give you a strong feeling of psychological and energetic grounding, a solid center, and upright extension so you have clear spaciousness in your energy field and your awareness.

Make it a point to check in with your posture frequently throughout the day, especially when you feel stressed or “out of sync.” Use the three posture cues to help you come back to a grounded, centered, upright stance in your life.

Kevin Schoeninger

To go directly to the next post in this series click this link

6 Responses to “Ten Life Secrets I Learned in T’ai Chi & Qigong #5”

1. Cathy says:

Wow, these are such great suggestions, and although I have learnt about some of this, you have explained it so well Kevin! I can’t wait for the next 5!

2. Malcolm Green says:

The real secret to Tai Chi is ….start and continue, continue, continue
        at last….. success!
        Of course you will need a good teacher
        Thank you Kevin for sharing tai chi ideas
        Kind regards, Malcolm

3. Saratha says:

Thank you for sharing these simple but powerful tools to well-being. The trouble with most people is not that they don’t know how to be whole, but don’t have the discipline to follow through. By your contribution in constantly being in touch online one is reminded of the duty to oneself to make the most of life. You create a lovely vision of connectedness in the new earth.

4. Peter says:

Good stuff.

5. Amanda Diane says:

These tips are right on! I recently started learning Zhineng Qigong. To help us keep on track for consistent practice we were given a chart to aim for 100 days consecutive practice. It’s titled “100 day Gong!” Each block has a smiley-face without the smile. For each day we complete, we draw in the smile. I’m currently on day 50. I am experiencing many more moments of remaining calm. Two weeks ago I got lost going to a workshop. Normally this would have triggered a major panic and I would have just gone home, or arrived and been so worked up that I would not have been effective at the workshop. With several weeks Qigong under my belt, I didn’t panic; after one hour I finally arrived at destination and was calm and able to start the workshop focused! This is a real accomplishment for me and I attribute it to having practiced every day. Keep those good tips coming.

6. Bob Ellal says:

Qigong—Chinese mind/body exercises–helped me immensely in my successful battles with four bouts of supposedly terminal bone lymphoma cancer in the early nineties. I practiced standing post meditation, one of the most powerful forms of qigong–as an adjunct to chemotherapy, which is how it should always be used.
        Qigong kept me strong in many ways: it calmed my mind–taking me out of the fight-or-flight syndrome, which pumps adrenal hormones into the system that could interfere with healing. The deep abdominal breathing pumped my lymphatic system—a vital component of the immune system. In addition, qigong energized and strengthened my body at a time when I couldn’t do Western exercise such as weight-lifting or jogging–the chemo was too fatiguing. And it empowered my will and reinforced it every day with regular practice. In other words, I contributed to the healing process, instead of just depending solely on the chemo and the doctors. Clear 14 years and still practicing!

Bob Ellal
        Author, ‘Confronting Cancer with the Qigong Edge’